The Arbuthnot Hall was built in 1904 and commissioned and paid for by Ellinor Arbuthnot in memory of her husband Forster Fitzgerald Arbuthnot. The Hall was gifted to the community of Shamley Green as a village asset, the opening ceremony took place on the 31st May 1905.
The Hall was designed to have many uses for the small community at the time, and to serve as a cricket pavilion during the summer months, to hold events and functions providing these were non-political and alcoholic liquor was not sold on the premises.
The Architect selected by Ellinor was Charles Harrison Townsend (1851 – 1928) who was better known for three striking public buildings, notably the Bishopsgate Institute, the Whitechapel Art Gallery and the Horniman Museum. He designed his home overlooking the cricket ground in Blackheath along with other houses in the village and the Blackheath Village Hall.
The Arbuthnot Hall has served as a hub for local community life, providing a venue where local people can come together, often in formal groups as Clubs and Societies as well as functions encompassing a wide range of uses. It is critical this facility continues for the benefit of future generations, and capable of meeting the needs of the community.
In recent years the Management Committee has raised sufficient funds through grants and fund raising to provide:-
• New Kitchen with a commercial dishwasher and cooker and other essential equipment.
• Refurbished Reception/Bar area. Modernised Ladies Restroom. Heavy duty flooring to all areas and new wooden floor to main hall. Double glazed windows and doors, (except to dormer windows). Sound loop system. Rewired electrical circuits to latest codes. Shower Room. Disabled toilet. Verandah. Plus many smaller projects.